Can I Make Changes to My Prenuptial Agreement?

Creating a prenuptial agreement with your soon-to-be-spouse is one of the most responsible choices a couple can make. However, if your life changed so drastically that the prenuptial agreement you created before your marriage is no longer suitable for your circumstances, you might be interested in changing it. Thankfully, you can make changes to a prenuptial agreement, but only if your spouse agrees with the modifications.

Modifying Your Prenuptial Agreement

Assuming you and your spouse are on the same page and wish to make changes to your prenuptial agreement, it is a relatively straightforward process. The changes you make to your agreement are known as an amendment. The amendment will be added onto the end of your prenuptial agreement, overriding or altering the parts of your prenuptial agreement you and your spouse would like to change. If your spouse does not wish to make any changes to the prenuptial agreement, it will remain as it is.

In some cases, spouses wish to do away with their prenuptial agreement altogether. If you and your spouse would like to cancel your prenuptial agreement, you will have to use a document known as a release of marital agreement. The document must be signed by both spouses and notarized by a public notary.

Below are some of the reasons why spouses change or cancel their prenuptial agreement:

  • They no longer want it
  • A substantial amount of property or assets were acquired
  • Both spouses wish to reassess how property will be distributed
  • The couple had children

If you would like to amend your prenuptial agreement, it is important to hire an experienced family law attorney to guide you through the process and ensure it is still valid and enforceable.

Contact Our Knowledgeable Family Law Attorney for Consultation Today!

Prenuptial agreements are not set in stone, so if you would like to make modifications to yours and your spouse agrees, reach out to the family law team at the Law Office of Tzvi Y. Hagler, P.C. for the guidance you need. Our experienced family law attorney will provide the advice you need to modify your prenuptial agreement, ensuring that it meets your unique needs.

Reach out to our law office today at (516) 514-3868 to request an initial case review with our skilled family law attorney to learn more about modifying your prenuptial agreement and what we can do to assist you.