Nassau County Child Custody Lawyer
Strategically Aggressive in New York Child Custody Cases
If you are facing divorce and have children, it is crucial to have a skilled Nassau County child custody attorneys on your side who can fight for a favorable child custody arrangement in New York.
When you reach out to the Law Office of Tzvi Y. Hagler, P.C., our Nassau County child custody lawyers can provide you with the legal advice you need to progress through this challenging time.
How Is Child Custody Determined in New York?
When parents decide to divorce, they are given the opportunity to work through matters on their own to come to an agreement on all divorce-related issues, including child custody. The parents must determine whom the child will live with, and carve out a visitation schedule.
If parents cannot agree on the terms of a child custody arrangement, a judge will need to decide for them.
There are two legal definitions for custody in New York:
- Legal custody: when parents are given the right to make important decisions in their child’s life, including decisions about education, religion, and medical care
- Physical custody: when parents are given the right to have their child live with them
Each type of custody may be shared by both parents (joint custody) or held by one parent (sole custody). A custody determination will be based on the best interest of the child.
When deciding on child custody, the courts consider several factors, including:
- The child’s desires, if they are old enough
- The parents’ mental and physical health
- Each parent’s ability to cooperate with the other parent
- The work schedules of the parents
- The parents’ ability to care for the child
- Any presence of domestic violence, neglect, or abuse
At What Age Can a Child Decide Which Parent to Live With in NY?
An 18-year-old child is no longer subject to an order of child custody in New York. So they can choose where they want to go. But, at the same time, many judges will only be able to influence the preference of a 16 or 17-year-old if the teenager has serious concerns or their choice appears unreasonable.
We Can Help
The Law Office of Tzvi Y. Hagler, P.C. is known for helping clients deal with all kinds of complex issues and sensitive matters. With a unique blend of compassion and toughness, our Nassau County child custody attorneys can be relied upon on to manage your case resulting in a fair outcome.